Saturday, July 7, 2007

Waffles?

Everyone loves waffles, don't they? What could be tastier than a light fluffy waffle with little pools of melted butter mingled with sweet syrup? Like I said, everyone loves waffles, don't they?
My sister in law, Paula, makes the best waffles. When we go to Florida my kids beg for Aunt Paula's waffles. Part of the attraction to Aunt Paula's waffles is that she makes Mickey Mouse waffles and the other part is that they are just the tastiest waffles on the planet. And I know this for sure.
Years ago my in-laws gave me a waffle maker (I wanted one!) and a waffle recipe book. Now, I've made lots of batches from the waffle book and I still think Paula's recipe is the best. Here's the recipe just in case you want to try 'em out for yourself.
And, the recipe works just as well in a regular waffle shape!

Yummy Waffles
4 eggs, separated
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup melted and cooled butter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 cups flour

Melt your butter and allow it to cool, if you haven't already.
Beat egg yolks and sugar.
Add cooled butter, milk and vanilla.
Add flour, baking powder, and salt.
Beat thick mixture well.
Beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold in the batter.
Bake on waffle maker as usual.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't know what I do wrong, but I always have to throw out the first waffle out of the waffle iron. At least the dog does not mind...

Totallyscrappy said...

Lucky dog!!

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmmm sounds so good. I made waffles once by seperating the egg whites etc....but didnt get all the whites folded in correctly I guess, had bits of cooked egg white in the middle...yuck......LOL. so what is the secret to getting them folded in enough without deflating them.......I think we need to invest in a waffle maker when we move and I will tell dh that is my welcome to your new home present......LOL LOL LOL.