Thursday, July 19, 2007

Flip Flop Finder (and a Quick Dessert)

Today started with so many plans. Bake a dessert for the Mission (Free Clinic) volunteers. Movies after lunch. Quick trip to the grocery store. Food pick up and delivery to the Mission. Pack for an overnight conference. When I made my mental list I thought I'd have lots of afternoon time. Ahahahaha. Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! My day was set at such a feverish pace I thought I would melt by the time I sat down to eat my deli pizza dinner.
I know my catchy title has you wondering how some flip flops fit into all this, so I'll just tell ya. After delivering the dinner (and dessert) to the volunteers at the mission downtown I decided the boys and I should make a second stop at Wally World to purchase something quick for dinner. S was asleep when we got there, so I unstrapped him and carried his almost-4 year old body into the store.

When I got inside the store A pointed out that S wasn't wearing shoes. Of course he is wearing shoes. I've seen the one lost shoe on the side of the road and I am not the mom who loses one shoe, or two, for that matter! I'm sure he has his shoes on!
Now, S's favorite pair of summer shoes are these camo flip flops that I bought at Target. I personally never wear flops (hate stuff between my toes), but I think these little flops are the cutest things around. Plus, the speed at which S can "shoe up" without straps, velcor, or laces is awesome.

I just figured that he must have taken off the shoes before falling asleep and those flops are in the van.

To make a long story boring, the flops weren't in the van. S was as calm as could be while I looked all around the van. I even tracked down the "cart boy" collecting carts to see if he had seen a pair of cute kid camo flops. He hadn't. So, I drove around the parking lot, slowly, looking for a presumably run-over pair of flops.
And there they were. Some kind "sole" (hahaha-- couldn't resist) had picked them up and placed them side by side behind a car, just waiting to be reunited with their feet/owner. (I'm pretty sure they didn't fall off his feet side by side.)

When I thought the shoes gone forever I realized how much I like those little camo flops. How much they just remind me of S. His youthfulness. How proud he is when he can "shoe up" by himself. How fast he can run with some stubborn piece of cheap plastic stuffed between his toes. How "cool" he is wearing flip flops like the big boys. How his stubby, fat toes get all dirty. How there is now a permanent dirt line where the flip flop straps go.
Anyway. All I wanted to say was thanks to the flip flop finder!

And totally unrelated to S's camo flip flops...
I've included the recipe for the dessert I took for the Free Clinic Volunteers.


Cookie Sheet Slice

1 cup butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 can (21 ounce) pie filling (I used blueberry, but cherry is fabulous, too)


Cream the butter and the sugar. Beat in the eggs (one at a time) and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Spread 2/3 of the batter on a greased cookie sheet (10x15) (I use a Pampered Chef Bar pan.) Spread the can of pie filling over the batter. Drop the remaining batter in little "drops" over the pie filling. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
Cool. (You can drizzle a powdered sugar icing over the cooled dessert.)
(In case you aren't familiar with "slices"... These are the size and thickness of a bar cookie, but the texture and flavor is of cake.)
Yummy!

No comments: