Monday, March 2, 2009

Ashes...

Last Wednesday was Ash Wednesday- the beginning of Lent. As part of the Ash Wednesday service ashes were applied to our foreheads to remind us of who we are. And just who am I?
Here are the words from the bulletin,

Created by God ("Remember that you are dust..."),
Mortal ("...and to dust you will return"),
On a journey of conversion ("Repent and be faithful to the Gospel"),
Part of the body of Christ (the smudge on our foeheads proclaims that identity to others).

I took a picture of each of my boys with thier foreheads marked with a cross of ashes. I think I'll keep these photos for just those days when I need reminding that my boys are on loan from God and that Jesus died to take away thier sins. (Mine, too.) Hard to get all worked up and upset with my child of God, isn't it? Exactly my point! (Eternity with these clowns is going to be very exciting!)
May it always be evident that we are part of the body of Christ even when the "smudges" are gone.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

that's definitely something I needed to hear this week. On loan, temporary. Wow the human tendency of self-importance overwhelms the truth so much of the time.

Ter said...

hi, it's been a long time since I've seen you. Either that or I've been clouded in grief and didn't notice. Those are good photos of your sons, and I'm glad you have them (the photos AND the boys)

Washer Mom Val said...

Beautiful post.

Laura said...

....a loan from God.
Very nice.

Beth Cotell said...

Great post! Great pictures!

Nikki said...

beautiful and sweet post:)

Anonymous said...

I like your post! Ain't it the truth our children are indeed His. One funny side note... "foehead" Is this your Southerness (is that a word) coming out. Love ya!

the ginhouse said...

Lady, I should have been keeping up with you. I'm sorry. Funny thing you'll enjoy. CIndy, Eliz & I had this Ash Wed conversation on the playground that wk. Her daughter went to a Ash wed service with her beau & freaked since we south bapt haven't ever experienced this in our services. Since Eliz went to seminary, we spent the next few days trying to explain it. I'll have to get her to look at your blog entry. Maybe it'll help Brooke with her "trauma"!