Monday, June 11, 2007

Banana Cake with Caramel Frosting

My friend Kymberly's mom recently visited my blog, so I'm posting a recipe for her.

This is a yummy cake that I was treated to a few times when we were on vicarage in Florida a few years ago. I've made it a few times since then and it is always a huge hit. So, Momma Ruthie, get baking!

Cake:
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c mashed bananas
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
2 tsp banana liqueur

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 cake pans. Mix cake mix, sugar, cinnamon. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove from pans and cool completely.

(I've also baked this in a bundt pan for 50 minutes and I've baked it in a 9x13 for 35 minutes)

Frosting:
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pecan halves for decorating

Heat butter and brown sugar in saucepan until bubbling. Add milk and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Work quickly to frost cake... if the frosting starts to harden warm it a bit. Decorate with pecan halves.


If you aren't sure what to do with all that leftover banana liqueur here is a bonus "adult beverage" recipe. (Ironically, also a recipe from our vicarage days. :)) (Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but we are Lutherans and Lutherans are OK with alcoholic beverages... all within moderation, of course. :))

Tokyo Sunset

1 ounce banana liqueur

1 ounce peach schnapps

2 ounces rum (coconut rum is good in here, too.)

pineapple juice and ice


And, finally, a picture of Kymberly and me for Momma Ruthie!

No comments: